Social Icons

Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

Arizza's Proportion Post

Part 1: Define

Ratio:
A comparison of 2 quantities that have the same 
unit of measure.


For example:

















Rate:
A Rate compares 2 quantities measured in different units.

For example:















Proportion:
A Proportion is an equation that shows that two ratios are equal to one another.

Example Question: 
3 bars of chocolate cost $2.94. What is the cost of 9 bars of chocolate?






Part 2: 

1) 5 hours to travel 360 kilometres is about _____km/h.










--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) Emma saves 28 cents of every dollar that she earns.  Emma earned $75 last week.  How much money did Emma save last week?











Part 3: 

What are the three ways you can prove 
that equivalent ratio statements are true? "

- I'm going to use: 3/4 = 12/16


















Part 4: 

A video I found from Youtube -



Part 5:




1. Does this seem fair?

  • No, It isn't.
2. With what you know about proportion look and read what is in the image above.  Does it seem just and fair? 

  • No, it's not fair at all.
3. Why have you made this choice? 
  • I don't find it fair because the first guy stole $ 3 Billion dollars! Then he was just sent to jail for only 40 months! (When that guy is released, he has a chance of stealing loads of money again..) Compared to the homeless man just stole $100. (He probably did that because he was really desperate of his situation, so he stole money perhaps just to buy himself food, or other things.)

4. What would you have done if you were the judge?
If I was the judge of the first guys case, I'll sentence him to jail for his lifetime, and if I could judge the homeless man's case, I don't want to add to his suffering, so I'll possibly put him in jail for a couple months, or a year. Afterwards when he's released, if I can, I'll give him community service.




No comments:

Post a Comment