- What is a ratio? Pair of numbers that compares different types of units.
- What is a rate? Compares two quantities measured in different units.
- What is a proportion? Relationship that says that two ratios or rates are equal.
1) 5 hours to travel 360 kilometers is about _____km/h
2) Emma saves 28 cents of every dollar that she earns. Emma earned $75 last week. How much money did Emma save last week?
3/4 = 12/16 or 4/9 = 16/32
- As you can see 3/4=12/16 is equivalent but 4/9=16/32 is not because one of these steps will not work.
We are starting to engage in discussions about social justice. What do you think about this image below. Use the link to copy it into your post. Then answer the questions!
- Does this seem fair?
- With what you know about proportion look and read what is in the image above. Does it seem just and fair?
- Why have you made this choice?
- What would you have done if you were the judge?
A1) This does not seem fair. It isn't fair.
A2) No it doesn't.
A3) I don't think this is fair because CEO stole 3 billion dollars but was only sent to jail for 40 months. The homeless man stole $100 dollars but got sent to jail for 15 years which is 180 months.
A4) If I were the judge I would make sure that there has to be a good reason why you're sending someone to jail for the certain amount of months or years. I also think that it should be the other way around because 3 billion dollars is way more than $100.
Extra (Bonus): Think of all the picture questions you have been answering in comment form over the last few weeks.
Question: How tall is the tree on the right?
Answer: The height of an average boy is 4.25 ft tall. The boy goes into the tree 3 times. So 3x4.25=12.75 Therefore the height of the tree is about 12.75 feet tall.