Social Icons

Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

Emerald's Proportion Post


Part 1 
  • ratiopair of numbers that compares different types of units. eg. 6:8








  • rate Compares two quantities measured in different units. eg. $60.00/3 hours

  • proportion - A relationship that says two rates equal each other. eg. If there were 6 people who liked cats and 7 people who liked turtles, how many people who likes cats would be if there were 21 people who liked turtles?



















1. 5 hours to travel 360 kilometers is about _____km/h
  • word ratio: km/hour
  • answer: 72 km/1 hour.














2. Emma saves 28 cents of every dollar that she earns.  Emma earned $75 last week.  How much money did Emma save last week?
  • word ratio: 28 cents/100 cents
  • answer: Emma saved 2100 cents in $75.00 = 2100 cents/$75.00
Part 3

What are the three ways you can prove that equivalent ratio statements are true?

3/4 = 12/16  or 4/9 = 16/32

1.  For 3/4 = 12/16, you can multiply the numerator and denominator by 4 and it equals 12/16. You can also divide 12/16 by 4 and it will equal 3/4. For the last one, you can cross multiply and they both equal 48, so therefore this ratio statement 3/4 = 12/16, is true. 
2. For 4/9 = 16/32, 4 x 4 = 16, but 9 x 4 = 36, therefore this ratio statement is false.

Part 4

Find a video about using proportion and embed it in your post.  Make sure you select the small size of the video.

This video clearly teaches you how to solve a proportion problem.



Task 5


1. Does this seem fair? 
  • No, it's not fair.
2. With what you know about proportion look and read what is in the image above.  Does it seem just and fair? 
  • No, this does not seem fair and just. 
3. Why have you made this choice? 
  •  It's not fair because the homeless man is going to jail for 15 years for robbing $100. Which the CEO is going to prison for only 40 months after stealing $3 billion. Plus, the homeless man seems more innocent for turning himself in and not using the money.
4. What would you have done if you were the judge?
  • I wouldn't of sentenced him to jail for 15 years, but I could send him for a shorter time. But for the CEO, I would sentence him to jail for about 15 years instead. 
Bonus Question

Q.) How tall is the tree on left? 
A.) The average height of an 11 year old would be 4.25 feet tall. The boy probably goes about 3 times into the tree. 3 x 4.25 = 12.75. So the tree is probably about 12.75 feet tall.

3 stars and a wish
My overall impression of making the blog post was that I thought it would take a lot of work and editing and it actually did. I took a lot of time making the pictures in paint which I found the hardest part. I also think I did okay in answering the questions because I had a pictures on some of them and I had a few long explanations. I only wish I could have added a picture on all of the things that we had to explain. But I think I worked pretty hard on it, and I hope I get a good mark. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I think you made really good examples, explained your answer really well, and I think that you understood what you were doing. I also think that you could have made your "if I were the judge" one more justified, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete